Friday, June 28, 2013

How I'm Going to Approach 1:1

As summer winds down - yes I mean that since when we hit the Fourth summer is all but done for teachers - I've been thinking about what it's going to be like when I walk into my classes and see every students with a MacBook Air on their desk . . . and open to Twitter, Facebook, iTunes, Youtube, Google, or another web page.

The simple answer (which isn't really so simple) is to be more entertaining and engaging than Twitter or Facebook or Google.  And I look forward to that challenge.  Or at least the challenge of finding a way to use all of those tools as a way to hook kids into my lessons.

So I think I'm going to start every class period with a 10-15 minutes "Old School" session.  I'm going to shut the cover of my computer.  I'm going to leave my iPhone on my desk.  Then I'm going to ask the students to do the same.  All technology goes away.

Then for those 10-15 minutes I'll introduce the assignments or explore with them what we need to get done.

After that, I'll structure 45-50 minutes where students can then use their technology to explore and create their assignments.

How that last part is going to look, I'm not sure yet.  It might involve Twitter or Facebook or Padlet or Tweetgrid or Blogger or just Google Docs.

Then I'm going to build in a brief "feedback section" where students can offer constructive criticism or wrap up what they've learned or chart the progress they've made for the day.

If I'm really good, I'll find a way to send out a follow up assignment (homework) that will then lead in to the start of the next class so before the "Old School" session, I can walk in and have students working on the homework and getting ready for the next lesson.

Then I'll send them on their way.  But they'll still be tethered to my class via their laptops and cell phones.  I know full well how these millennials learn - and it's the total opposite of how I did back in the lat 80's and early 90's where homework was reserved for study hall (who really has study halls anymore?) or around 8 in the evening (if I even bothered to do it).

Now kids are hyper-busy and they weave in homework whenever they can.  So I'll get a text or question via Google Docs during third block when a student has a free block.  Then I'll get another one at 4 as a students is finishing homework before going to work.  Then I'll get another at 7 when a student gets home from practice.  Then I'll get another at 11 as a student comes home from work.

See what I mean about them all being tethered to my class?  And, honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Here's how it might look --

"Old School" session -

Outline the assignment - in this case our how to draft 1.0 in College Comp - on "How to Improve Lincoln High School."

We may brainstorm some ways we can do this.  The trick will be to move this away from "trivial" things like better food in the cafeteria or faster wireless to real issues like how to effectively use 1:1 or to make learning more engaging.

"Middle section" session -

I will share with students via Google Docs the article "Ten Things Teachers Should Unlearn."  Then I'll have students not only read the article but then also add another list that they generate.  I'll tell them that this is shared with other teachers as well so keep that in mind.  I'll also inform them that I will be encouraging teachers to respond to their responses too.  So we can look at those to start a class a few days from now.

We can discuss this and look at it up on the SMART board as we put it together.

"Final section" session -

I'll have students find articles or videos on the web about how other schools are reforming their ways to better engage the millennials.

I'll also share with them via Google Docs the Time article "How to Move our Schools Out of the 20th Century."  I'll also create a Padlet board with the TEDx Talks from Seth Godin called "Stop Stealing Dreams" and have them give one response as to how we as a school can learn from this.  (this will begin our discussion and class period tomorrow).

Well, that's a rough draft of a lesson plan.  It's not perfect.  But it's already got me fired up to start teaching!


No comments: