Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Food for thought

I tell other teachers "Whether you like it or not, your students are tweeting about you and your class.  The only thing you can control is what they say about your class on their social networks."

For some, that's terrifying.

The days of us being able to close our doors and toil away in isolation are over.

As well they should be.

Here is an example of just how quickly a moment in a high school can go viral.



I've had students send me this.  I've discussed this with my colleagues.  I've shared it with our principal who found it very interesting.

Whether you agree or disagree (while I tend to think Rock on kid!  Fight the nefarious unengaging worksheet loving teacher I realize too that this is a small moment in time taken out of context), the main point is that we are only a second away from having something go viral as a result of what we do in our classroom.

Now, the young man, Jeff Bliss, is obviously bright - judging from his well spoken diatribe - and perhaps he should have handled it a bit differently.  But guaranteed had he spoken eloquently to his principal about this situation, there is no way it would have had the same impact as this viral video has. After all, revolutions are not bloodless. And maybe this will start a revolution where students try to speak up and challenge more.

I use this as a reminder to always bring your A game.  For you never know when your F game may go viral and be plastered all over Yahoo or Youtube.  Likewise, when you are doing something original and engaging in your classroom, advise your kids to take out their smartphones or iPads and document it and share it.  Why not have your A game go viral instead?

No comments: