Wednesday, February 20, 2013

More from Phase One and my students' beauty blogs


Just think - I get to walk through these doors each time I come to work.



I love the high ceilings and art deco style in the entry way.  




The new offices for administration.



The Prowler that was the final Magnet Arts project of Mrs. Adams' career (and the one designed by KoKo is in the corner of the commons)










Student work spaces, replete with outlets for their devices.





Now I've heard some people complain, "Do the tables really need to say LHS?"  Well, if you're going to commit to spending the money, don't do a half-hearted job.  When we were buying our first home, I was worried about all the money we were spending, especially when it came to 'trivial' things like furniture.  But my wife made an excellent point: why go cheap on a couch when we spent so much time painting and personalizing our home? Why go cheap on a couch that you'll spend a lot of time on?  

I feel the same way about the extras that were added here.  For anyone who complains about the personal touches, we should have saved the old tables from the lunch room and make them set at one of those tables instead.




If the honor's banquet is held here (and if I'm fortunate enough to be asked to give the faculty address), I can't wait to give my speech response here.  It'll be amazing.



My CC 2 students were assigned their fourth theme, a definition essay.  As part of the assignment they have to read the essay "Pearls Before Breakfast" and define their version of beauty.  To get them thinking, I charged them with going on a beauty scavenger hunt and then publishing their findings on individual blogs.  As soon as I turned them loose to work, many ran for the media center and their MacBook Airs, but students with their own devices preferred to work here.  And I don't blame them one bit.  In a perfect world (or at least my perfect world), this is how every class would function.

Here are a couple of the beauty blogs that have come in now.



















1 comment:

The Escapist said...

Oh. My. Gosh. What IS this place? I want to fly back to Minnesota just to see what it looks like in person. Why can't this have been done before I left???