Monday, January 07, 2013

Monday

We had it all planned this weekend.  Saturday morning we loaded the kids up and drove to Mayville to visit Gail.  We stayed there to watch the wild card games - congrats to the Texans and Packers for playing well and moving on.

Then we left Kenz and Cash with Grandma and drove home.  The plan was to use Sunday to be productive and get all the stuff accomplished that is difficult to get done when Kenz and Cash are home.  You know, actually clean the house and have it stay clean for more than hour.  Watch a movie without interruption.  Take a nap.  Sleep in.  Pay bills in peace and quiet.

Well, that was the plan.

We did sleep in.  Until 7:30.  We did clean a little.

I did some grading while Kristie tended to the bills and balancing the checkbook.  I finished my lesson plans.  I had planned to begin reading two of my new books (The Dip by Seth Godin and Start With Why by Simon Sinek), but that never really happened.

I kept an eye on the football games in between fits of grading papers while Kristie took a break and watched Pride and Prejudice (She not only read the book and watch the 6 part miniseries from the BBC but she also rented and watched the modern version).

In the evening, I had some errands to run, so Kristie mentioned picking up a movie.  That is something, honestly, that we have not done since the kids were born.

I was kind of giddy walking into Mr. Movies.  I had forgotten what it was like to stay up on all the films.  In high school  - when you grew up in Red Lake Falls all you could pretty much do was watch movies - I'd scan the video rental racks for new releases and usually just end up picking out a newer movie that I had already seen in theaters but not watch on VHS (I know.  It was that long ago.).

But now I felt the relief of knowing that out of ever ten movies I scanned, I hadn't seen nine of them!

Kristie wanted The King's Speech, which sounded good, but once I saw The Dark Knight Rises, I knew we had to watch that.  I would have rented Looper too, which I've heard is a cross between Inception and Shutter Island (both of which I haven't seen either), but it was all out.

But times at the video store have changed.  The King's Speech is ours for seven days and The Dark Knight Rises is ours for five days!   No more scrambling to return videos the next day to Cenex or good old US Video.

As I left the store, I received a text from Kristie saying that it was okay if I skipped a movie.  We could just read instead!  Oh, the simple pleasures, right?

And read we did.  But soon it was 10:30 and we both were sound asleep.  Talk about living on the wild side.

It was nice to get some things done around the house without the kids needing us every other minute.  I mean there is nothing that sinks your heart like just picking up all the toys and putting them away and vacuuming only to hear Cash laughing as he spills a freshly packed container of toys out onto the carpet as you are just finishing putting the vacuum way!

But it was just a little too quiet yesterday.  After about my fifth essay, I began to long for the kids again . . . and all the craziness they bring.  That's become our lives; I wouldn't have it any other way.




Here are out two little dearies. I snapped this during Christmas vacation.  My how innocent they seem now.  But all it takes is Cash reaching for a toy of Kenz's (or vice versa) and look out!


Our little man fresh out of the tub.  


And here is out little Kenz having some fun with the finger paint she and Cash received for 
Christmas.

No comments: