Monday, June 04, 2012

Love This

Talk about originality and personality and above all . . . voice.  How can we teach creativity and originality like this in schools?



One way, I think, is to flip Bloom's taxonomy.  Here is a post on just that.

Instead of starting with the very rudimentary (boring) skills and practices, why not start with the creative skills and practices?



I think one reason most teachers don't do this is because they feel that they lack creativity.  And it's a damn shame.  It's not that I think they really lack it.  I just think they have become to see themselves as lacking creativity.

I mean how do you grade something that's creative?  It's a lot easier to grade a worksheet covering basic skills than it is to grade a creative project.  But what do the students get the most out of?


No comments: