Monday, July 18, 2011

Summer School

While I've taught either first or second summer session at the ALC for 8 years or so, this is the only time I've opted to do both sessions.  I just hope my second session is as good as my first session.

I had total free reign for my first course, Lit I.  So we basically read the best stories I could find.  Now, I didn't put them through the very best that I could find. I just thought taking a bunch of kids in a very hot, stuffy classroom in June and July (and mind you these are kids who aren't thrilled necessarily to be here) through "Young Goodman Brown," "A Rose for Emly," and "The Yellow Wallpaper."

Instead, we read some of the more suspenseful and interesting selections of the best literature I could find: "The Lottery," "Doe Season," "The Chaser," "The Things They Carried," and several Will Weaver stories.  All in all, it was a fun class.

Second period was science fiction.  I could teach this sucker in my sleep.  We read one story and watched one film per theme (the mad scientist: what is out there?; dangers of technology; and alternative histories/time travel).  Again, this was a great class.

We ended the day with MCA Reading Strategies.  I was a fish out of water here.  Teaching kids to pass the reading test was a struggle.  I didn't mind teaching the skills and strategies.  Those came second nature to me.  The problems came with the teaching and test prep guides.  There were a couple selections - one taken totally out of context from "The Red Badge of Courage" that we couldn't make any sense of at all - and one selection about deep sea diving that was out of order and we were called to re-order it.  I had no clue what the hell was going on.  And I'm a fluent reader. 

I think when I teach my reading strategies class this fall, I'll be better about avoiding the test prep stuff and actually focusing on how to develop reading strategies - hopefully using materials the kids will enjoy reading and not just 'have' to read.

This second session began with Composition.  I've taught this class nearly every summer session.  This is another one I could do in my sleep.  I think it's also the class that I am best at.

Second hour is a new class - Contemporary MN authors.  We started today by reading "Winterkill" by Gary Paulson.  After that I think we're going to read Will Weaver's "Defect," and if there's enough time we'll finish with Mary Cassonova's "Curse of the Winter Moon."

Finally, creative writing.  I also think I've taught this every single summer session.  There is an added benefit to this class now - we have to work in the computer lab and right now, that is the only place we can go that has air conditioning.  That should motivate them to write!

3 comments:

Big Sis said...

If you were going to read Gary Paulson, how could you not let them read "Harris & Me"? Best book EVER! :-) Now that would be a great into to creative writing!

Me said...

Mary Casanova came to Hughes when Natalie was in Kindergarten - each child received an autographed book of her picture book "One Dog Canoe" I loved her!

The Escapist said...

Umm.... so while I'm working, these kids are in school learning and reading all my favorite things? You should let me come 'assist' your classes. =D Sounds like you are having a good time of it.