Sunday, November 08, 2009

A Lesson

First, my College Comp students wrote a draft focusing on how to improve LHS. Now, they have turned their attention to how to survive/prepare for college.

Students talked about finding a job that they would love and not ending up doing something they hated every single day. They also talked about the fear of failure and what if they screw up big time (their words not mine).

In our discussions of their fears and hopes over the next two years, I couldn't help but think of these two classic scenes from the early '80s TV show Taxi.

I used to watch this religiously when I was a kid. I loved Danny Devito's character as the sleezy taxi company owner. But my favorite character was Jim, the burn-out taxi driver.

Here is an example of what you don't want your life to devolve into to.



And here is an example of what happened to Jim that led him to struggle with his driver's test so mightily.

No comments: