Friday, October 02, 2009

It's Enough to drive ya nuts

Just when I get done complementing the student body on a superb homecoming, I get a text from one of my juniors - who is putting the finishing touches on their float for the parade - wondering if "we are doing anything important in class."

And we wonder why 40 millions jobs will be outsourced to India in the next 30 years or why Asia and India are kicking our asses in a global economy.

Now, I'm split here. I know advisers have had their kids devote weekends to working on their floats and other things for homecoming. I also don't want to be one of those teachers who thinks their class is so absolutely vital that my kids can't miss class for anything. But I don't want to leave my kids with the impression that nothing important is going on in class and it's no big deal if you miss.

Errr. That's a perfect microcosm of homecoming. Great highs and great frustrations.

At least things will get back to normal until the spring when we make an absolute farce of trying to educate our kids.

No comments: