Saturday, April 25, 2009

How sad

I am a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan. Calvin - and his overactive imagination - reminds me of a younger version of myself. And his constant companion - Hobbes - a toy tiger who comes to life whenever Calvin is alone and his imagination takes over - is like so many of my toys when I was a child.

A student was telling me about what was reported to be the last Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. It supposedly shows Calvin finally being put on meds. As a result, he looks at his beloved Hobbes and just sees a stuffed animal. I couldn't believe it. How could it end that way?

Here is the strip . . .



Thankfully, a little research on the internet revealed this to be the last Calvin and Hobbes . . . and it's fitting for such a wonderful franchise. Childhood is an adventure . . . and full of imagination and possibilities.

No comments: