Sunday, October 12, 2008

Who started this lie?

Maybe it's that I'm getting cranky in my old age. I don't know. But I'd like to know who started the lie that I have now read on so many of my college comp papers, "People say that your senior year is supposed to be the best time of your life."

Three words: "Crock of shit."

Don't get me wrong. I had a great time in high school. But I was never foolish enough to think that it was the peak of my life and that everything would be down hill from there.

I just want to know where this myth originated. Or maybe students don't even believe it; they just blather on about it because it's what they have heard themselves for so long.

Every passing year is the best time of my life. Am I in the minority?

3 comments:

Me said...

It's funny how they all think they have a golden halo above their heads thinking "We need to be wild and zany unlike any other seniors before us."

fellowteacher said...

I think people think of their senior year as great because of how much of a rat race their lives are now. I would love to be able to go back to the days of innocence, no responsibility and carefreeness that was my life at 18. It certainly was a very fun time in my life.

fellowteacher said...

It was a great time for me that I look back on with much fondness. The innocence that you still have compared with all the responsiblity a person has later in life makes a senior year of high school look pretty damn appealing.