Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sad News

One of my students' mothers is dying from cancer. He wrote about it in one of his essays. Usually, his writing is sarcastic and satirical; however, he really opened up with his last essay. Having lost both of my parents to cancer, it was difficult for me to read. But he handled it well.

Just another reminder of how no child should have to go through that.

The other day I was reading through an old poetry text I acquired somehow (I have a lot of books like that) when I came across this little poem that reminded me of not only my student but also all of the others we have known in the past few years who have lost loved ones.

Death Stands Above Me

Death stands above me, whispering low
I know not what into my ear;
Of his strange language all I know
Is, there is not a word of fear.

-- Walter Savage Landor

I like that.

No comments: