Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Giddy

I have been feeling absolutely giddy lately. Of course, Kristie and Kenzie are the main reasons. Last night Kristie had me feel her stomach where Kenzie was basically doing some aerobics, for she kicked or punched (and maybe both) steady for at least ten minutes. She is getting so big now that you can literally see Kristie's stomach move from her efforts.

That is one of the most amazing experiences. Just beneath the flesh is a little life beating and pounding and thumping away.

As I said earlier, Kristie has MUCH to do with my giddiness. I think this stanza from a poem I wrote her last year sums it up best --

A sliver of her smile
is a lesson in gravity
as something in my chest
strives to soar
in spite of the universe
bearing down on me.

Of course,
it is gravity -

or rather she -

that saves me

reminding my heart

that though it is seeks to soar
it cannot break free.

Now with someone who makes you feel like that, how could one NOT be giddy.

Then there are the simple pleasures. Like tonight - where we are just sitting out on the patio with a fire and the dogs. Kristie is reading while I read some and blog some. There is hardly a breeze, yet it is cool. There are no bugs. Just the crackle of the fire and a few birds - even those noisy jays are absent.

Then there is football about to start. Last night we had our preseason meeting with the AD. Then the parents and athletes arrived.

When Jeff, Travis, and I met with the parents and players, I purposely tried not to size up any players, deciding to wait until well after the scrimmage - still a few weeks away yet - before forming any opinions on players.

Finally, there has been our MNHS class. It is to be our last with the scholars, Eric and Loeil. In a phrase, that sucks. But each class this week has been vital. I have learned so much not only from the scholars but the other teachers as well. Every teacher should be required to take part in something like this to continue teaching. I am rejuvenated for this fall.

Yes, life is pretty darn perfect right now.

No comments: